10,924


From the summer of 1990 through today, I have had at least one cup of coffee every day.  During that time I have not missed one day. Not one. I’ll explain how I know that in a moment.

An article called “11 Reasons Why You Should Drink Coffee Every Day” got my attention this afternoon.  Click on that title to read the whole story; I’ll quote a few of my favorites from their list.

Just smelling coffee can make you less stressed (which definitely works for me)
Coffee could lessen the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease (although it didn’t help my Dad).
Coffee is great for your liver, especially if you drink alcohol (good to know).
Coffee can make you more intelligent.


I am one of the 54% of Americans who drink coffee every day.  I thought that percentage was higher though.  I know very few people who don’t drink coffee and I know a few who are even more addicted to that wonderful beverage than I am. 

I love the smell, taste and effects of coffee.  I am a little picky about taste and strength but not as much as the Gibbs character on NCIS.  One of my New Orleans rituals is to have coffee at Café du Monde in the French Quarter at least once when I visit.  I brew coffee at home a few days a week but I think some coffee places do a better job, especially Starbucks.  Fortunately there are plenty of Starbucks locations … 10,924 to be exact (2012 statistic – more of them now).  There is a Starbucks two blocks south of my office, another one two blocks north.  My most regular Starbucks location is a half-mile from my apartment; I walk to that one several mornings a week.

Back in March of 1990 I fell down a flight of stairs and spent twelve days in the hospital.  I didn’t drink coffee during those days and realized later that the excruciating headaches I endured were not from my injuries but rather from caffeine withdrawal.  I decided to continue my coffee sabbatical, just to see if I could.  When I returned to work I began to drink only decaf and decided that would be just fine.  Then one day that summer the office ran out of decaf, so I poured a cup of regular.  I instantly returned to my daily habit and have not missed a day since.

So I’m on my way to a party during which I will consume a few adult beverages.  Liver beware.  Fortunately this article cites a study that claims people who drink at least one cup of coffee a day were 20% less likely to develop liver cirrhosis, a disease related to alcohol consumption.  Cheers.

Comments