Stormy

Did I mention that I am taking guitar lessons?  I probably did.  And I had to reschedule lessons 3 and 4, so I'm not very far into this new near-obsession.  Actually it isn't an obsession yet, but it will be.  I know me.  You might too.

I'm learning it one string at a time, one note at a time, one little song at a time.  My first recognizable song is a stripped down version of Ode To Joy.  Only six notes.  As far as reading music goes, I'm up to one whole octave.  Woohoo!

When I first met my instructor we determined that we both like blues.  In fact someone else at the school suggested this guy because I said I love blues and another guitar player I know also knows the owner of this music place.  Anyway, my classically-instructed guitar teacher loves blues.  The list of songs I eventually want to learn includes Stormy Monday.  Willie (the teacher - hmmm, I wonder if he's named after Willie Dixon - I'll ask him) locked onto Stormy Monday and near the end of my first lesson a few weeks later he gave me a printout of the chords to the Allman Brothers version of Stormy Monday and the link to the song on You Tube.  I have two other versions of that song on my iPod but I had completely forgotten about this version, which also happens to be the very first version I had ever heard.

So one of my goals for the next few months (or maybe weeks) is to learn Stormy Monday.  I can't sing worth a damn but I will attempt to play and sing this at some point, maybe even to someone other than just me.

They call it stormy Monday, but Tuesday's just as bad, Wednesday is worse, and Thursday is oh so sad, the eagle flies on Friday .... wait, let the Allman Brothers do it ...


Comments