Third Chapter


A boomer buzzword I’ve heard lately is ‘third chapter’. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, it’s two words.  The term ‘third chapter’ refers to a portion of a senior’s life. First chapter, growing up, second chapter, career and raising a family, third chapter, retirement and/or Post-career career.

In my case, that first chapter lasted longer than it should have. My adolescent immaturity stretched into my 20s in many ways. Chapter Two was mostly about career, but I never did raise a family.

So now, like many boomers, I’m contemplating Chapter Three. We’re often told this is the time and opportunity to finally do what we’ve always wanted to do. In my case, I’ve been doing most of what I always wanted to do for the past 43 years.

What do I do now?

I realize I ask this question a lot in this blog. Sometimes my answer is to continue doing what I do, but maybe cut back the quantity. Lately, however, I’ve been thinking that maybe there are a few things I’ve always wanted to do that I haven’t done yet.

My bucket list includes two items I might actually be able to make a small amount of post-retirement money with ... writing and photography.

Both of those fields require some level of skill, which I think maybe I have. Both are hard to break into and to be successful in and they offer little financial security. That should not stop my pursuit, should it?  My 43-year career in radio was hard to break into and offered questionable financial security, but I eventually thrived in it.

The lesson here is to pursue whatever you want to pursue, regardless of the obstacles. Desire and determination help break barriers.

I have been engaged in writing and photography my whole life. My radio jobs included both, at various times, and I’ve occasionally made a few freelance dollars doing each.


What have I got to lose, right?

Comments