Conversation Observation

Linguistic differences from region to region and state to state encompass more than just accents and vocabulary. The manner in which people end their phone conversations can point to a person’s region of origin.

In the south, a phone call often ends with six or seven sentences. For example, a typical phone chat with my sister wraps up like this:

OK, well I better go
OK. Thanks for calling. Nice catching up with you.
Same here. Take care.
You too. See you soon.
OK. Goodnight.
Goodnight.
Bye.
Bye.


We’re both from Louisiana. She still lives there.

I’ve lived much further north for many years. The end of a phone call around here often sounds like this.

Gotta run.
OK. Seeya.
Bye.


I think I like the southern way better. How ‘bout you?

Feel free to post a comment on this.

Thanks for dropping by.

Y'all have a nice night.

Bye.

Comments