Breaking the Law of Averages

I see plenty of law-breaking during my 42-miles-each-way daily commute: speeding, weaving, texting while driving and others. I break a few laws myself.

Tonight I watched a serious, high-speed crash happen just three or four cars in front of me. Cars bump like in NASCAR, spin out away from each other across multiple lanes, one car sliding off the road down an incline, the other nearly hitting an embankment. A few months ago I watched a similar accident happen … different stretch of the same highway, more cars, more lanes, just three or four cars in front of me.

If I was a superstitious man, I’d say fate slowed me down just enough as to not be four car-lengths further ahead than I was. I’d also say it’s only a matter of time before I’m the one spinning around.

I’m not superstitious. But I do understand the law of averages. It is one law I intend to break.

Comments

Linda V. said…
I'm with you on this one, please be careful!