Community Service

Community service is required in most public schools in Maryland. Students have to do some amount of volunteer work to graduate. I wish that was the case when I was in high school. Getting into the habit of volunteering early increases the chance it will become a life-long habit.

I used to feel guilty that I don’t do more volunteering until someone pointed out that I work with causes and non-profit organizations as part of my job. I interview representatives of these groups for a weekly radio program that plays on Sunday mornings in Washington DC and sometimes in Baltimore MD. Although I don’t do very much direct work with them, I do give them an outlet to get their message to people. I feel good about that. At some point, however, I plan to get more directly involved.

Here is just a small sample of groups I’ve spoken with:

St Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Multiple Sclerosis Society
American Cancer Society
American Stroke Association
WRAP (Washington Regional Alcohol Program)
American Red Cross
Stop The Silence
SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now) of Northern Virginia
Hope For Henry
Bread for the City
National Brain Tumor Society
National Kidney Foundation
National Parkinson Foundation

And October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I personally know three breast cancer survivors, so this one hits closer to home than most. Locally, the Breast Cancer 3 Day is going on this weekend, benefiting the Susan G. Komen For The Cure.

Many of these are local to me but some may have chapters where you live. Just sayin'

Comments