Friends Are Forever

I caught up with my old friend CG this afternoon. We first met almost 18 years ago and developed an instant friendship. We spent a lot of time together for a few years, with lots of long conversations, meals, the occasional movie; it wasn’t really dating (her choice, not mine), just spending nice time with a friend.

Over the years, we each got busy with other people and activities and struggled to keep in touch. Last time we spoke she had fallen in love with a man who lived in another country and she shared some humorous stories about their efforts to spend time together. Then we just fell off each other’s radars for six or seven years.

Last week her name came up in a conversation and just a few days later I got an email from her. Wow! Something cosmic going on there. We met for lunch in DC today and seven hours later, we’re mostly caught up. Seven hours! Amazing. Good thing she knows the staff at that restaurant and the coffee shop we visited after.

Things are still pleasantly complicated for her; her man is now her husband, even though they still live in two different countries. I’ll get to meet him later this summer. We talked about him, her job, her family, politics, my life, mutual friends and on and on and on.

I have an eclectic group of friends, most of whom do not know each other, but I think the one thing they all have in common: they love to talk. So do I (pause here for a moment while my friends who read this blog laugh out loud).

I rarely get to spend this much time with my closest friends, but I’m happy that I have many friendships that span decades. New and future close friends should be warned: I’ll be around awhile. Friends are forever.

Comments