Did the Earth Move?

I didn’t sleep well last night. Woke up at 1:15, again at 2:00, 3:05. After that last time I couldn’t get back to sleep for a long time. I remember watching the clock change from 3:59 to 4:00 am.

Then … finally … zzzzzz.

Till just past 5, when I woke to the sound of rumbling, the kind of ground shaking usually made by a passing truck or a low-flying jet. Then it stopped. No truck. No jet. It wasn’t even my dogs hurtling down the hall to go out. There was just enough to wake me up, followed by the usual silence of rural Maryland.

For a brief moment I thought ‘earthquake’. I laughed and went back to sleep.

Two hours later I’m up eating breakfast and watching the news. The first local story: “Breaking News: 3.6 magnitude earthquake hits the DC region.” Wow! It really was an earthquake. My first!

It was centered near Germantown, Maryland and felt throughout the Washington DC area. There have been others during the past few decades. Most, like this one, resulted in little or no damage or injury. We don’t expect earthquakes around here and most have been smaller than this one.

But they do make for a great story.

-------------
Click Here for more info.

Comments