Is She?

Is Lady Gaga the Madonna of the 2000s? That question occurred to me this morning as I watched the video of her latest song “Alejandro” on the VH-1 Video Countdown (and y’all thought I only liked country music).

She reminds me of Madonna in this song – flawless, fluid choreography, layered voice-over-voice singing, interspersed religious and sexual imagery and a bullet-boobs bra. The mood and tempo of this song reminds me of Madonna’s “La Isla Bonita” and the video seems to play off “Like A Virgin.” The Wikipedia write-up on lady Gaga says her influences are David Bowie, Queen, Michael Jackson and, well, Madonna.

A few more curious similarities between her and Madonna: both are of Italian heritage, both grew up Catholic, neither uses a surname (Gaga’s full name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta), both got their musical start in New York, both frequently change their appearance, both have sometimes controversial public and private images.

If you have nine minutes to spare, check out this extended version of her latest video:



Back to my original question: Is Lady Gaga the Madonna of the 2000s?

Comments