The New Oxford American Dictionary recently released its 2010 words, some of which include:
• BFF: a girl's best friend
• Gal pal: a female friend
• Hockey mom: a mother who devotes a great deal of time and effort to supporting her children's participation in ice hockey
• Hater: a person who greatly dislikes a specified person or thing
• Lipstick lesbian: a lesbian who favors a glamorous, traditionally feminine style
• Tramp stamp: a tattoo on a woman's lower back
• Unfriend: to remove from a list of friends or contacts on a social networking site
• TTYL: talk to you later
A few others: bromance, webisode, staycation, megachurch, all of which get flagged by my version of Word as incorrectly spelled.
A few more new words that are actually two-word combinations used together as one word: wardrobe malfunction, credit crunch, exit strategy.
Language is not static; it evolves, so some of this should come as no surprise. Reading this did not make me LMAO but it is still amusing, isn’t it?