Stand Up and Focus

That pesky holiday depression keeps sneaking up on me. Actually it’s more like regular depression. I think the real cause is that there is just too much on my plate and not enough time to get it done. I’m a bit of a control freak and big chunks of my life are not within my control this month. Way too much to do and way too little time to get it done.

Over the past twenty years I have read at least five self-help books and countless self-help articles, interviewed three different psychologists on my radio shows and even took one of the recorded Tony Robbins courses. All of that advice is pretty much the same and can be summarized in two thoughts: 1) you get what you focus on and 2) every time you fall, stand up.

We can choose to focus on the negatives in our lives and if we do, we will usually find more negatives. Conversely, we can choose to focus on the positives and, well, we will find more positives. That is the advice I give others and usually follow myself. I am self-aware enough to recognize my breaking points and if I’m paying attention, I can spot them before I reach them and do something about it. But sometimes I stumble. When I fall, I should stand up. Again, that is the advice I give others but sometimes as I’m wallowing in a negative pity party, I forget to stand up. Fortunately I eventually remember. Things might be a little blah for me right now but I know I have been much further down in the dumps than this. Every time I have fallen into the negative pit this fall (ironic name for this season, isn’t it?), I have stood up and grabbed onto something positive.

One more thing I remember from some self-help gurus is this: surround yourself with positive people and discard the negative ones. That’s a little harsh but it works. Or if you choose to keep a few negative people, make them a project; try to swing them into a more positive zone. I have a few “project” people in my circle. I don’t think any of them read this blog. And I definitely do have positive people in my circle, and some of the most important ones do read this blog.

I had a real up and down day today but one thing that helped me stand up a couple of times was a song. In fact, my favorite Christmas song, the one I mentioned a few posts ago … The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire). I decided to find a few more versions and share them with you. Here is one I heard today. Enjoy. Happy Holidays. I am very excited that I will see at least two of my positive friends later this month.

Comments