That Guy Again

I was tempted to post this after hearing the results of today’s Florida primary, but why wait?

In case you hadn’t figured this out yet, I think Newt is a ridiculous phony who would be dangerous for the country if elected President. One part of me actually wants him to be the Republican candidate because that would guarantee Obama’s re-election. But another part of me wants the election to be about fair choices between two decent candidates.

You also know I voted for Obama last time and although it is not a certainty, it is likely I’ll vote for him again. My biggest disappointment with him has been his lack of standing up and fighting. However, it looks like he’s warming up to that idea. I read this earlier in the week (sorry I don’t remember where):

Obama also pushed back on Gingrich’s oft-repeated “food stamp president line,” saying, “I don’t put people on food stamps. People become eligible for food stamps. Second of all, the initial expansion of food-stamp eligibility happened under my Republican predecessor, not under me. No. 3, when you have a disastrous economic crash that results in eight million people losing their jobs, more people are going to need more support from government.”

I’ve been saying this for as long as I’ve known anything about politics or government assistance programs: the problem is not food stamps, the problem is incompetent people who run those programs and some of the people who take unfair advantage of the programs.

I do believe the government should help people who really need help. Some people abuse the system and those people should not be allowed to take advantage of assistance. Some government employees mismanage the programs; those people should be fired.

There was a point in my life, specifically the sixth month of unemployment in the early1980s, when I was probably eligible for food stamps. I was on the verge of losing my home and probably could have declared bankruptcy. I could have begged for help, I could have moved back in with my parents (as a 25+ adult). Ultimately at the last minute I accepted an offer for a job I didn’t really want. If I had waited one more day to make that call the job opening would have been filled and my whole life could have turned out radically different than it did. Most people who need assistance programs like food stamps are not as lucky as I am and do not have the same opportunities I do. And I’m pretty sure most people on food stamps would rather not be.

To all those people who think ALL government programs should be scrapped … feel free to give me your Social Security payouts when I’m in my 70s. You don’t need those government programs, do you?

Geez. It’s about balance, people!! Manage the programs! Fix what’s wrong! Eliminate the wasteful ones and correct problems with the effective ones! Government can be a good thing for us and part of that depends on who the leaders are. We have the right to choose them. When it comes time to vote, don’t sit on the sidelines. Do get out there and vote. And please vote for somebody with integrity.

Comments