Politics and Religion. Again.

So a Baptist minister introduces a Catholic presidential candidate with these words: "I don't care what the liberals say, I don't care what the naysayers say, this nation was founded as a Christian nation...There is only one God and his name is Jesus. I'm tired of people telling me that I can't say those words.. Listen to me, If you don't love America, If you don't like the way we do things I have one thing to say - GET OUT. We don't worship Buddha, we don't worship Mohammad, we don't worship Allah, we worship God, we worship God's son Jesus Christ."

So let’s see if I have this right … If you’re not Christian, you’re not American. Oh, and “if you don’t like the way we do things” … who is “we”? This nation was founded by Europeans who massacred the ‘real’ never-heard-of-Christ Native Americans who were already here. It was founded as a place where people could have religious freedom, could worship in any way they wanted to … including not worshiping at all and not worshipping any God.

Yes, our nation turned out to be the greatest on the planet, but don’t try to ignore the high price we paid for that. And don’t ignore the contradictions. And most of all, don’t tell me to get out because I’m sometimes liberal (and sometimes not), sometimes Christian (and sometimes not), sometimes worship God (and sometimes don’t) and most times love America (and sometimes don’t). People died so we could all hold those contradictory positions.

And I suppose in all fairness, that alleged ‘man of God’ who spoke those words today in my original home state (Louisiana) while introducing presidential candidate Santorum (who is Catholic, a religion that is sometimes ridiculed by Baptist ministers as being not quite Christian) has the right to speak those obviously contradictory words just as I have the right to think he is full of shit for saying them.

It is interesting that he also prayed that God’s will be done in the upcoming election. Which means that if Barack Obama is re-elected, that is God’s will, right? In which restaurant will this minister be eating his own words when somebody other than Santorum takes the oath of office next January?

Comments