Choices and Priorities

My original plan for this fine Saturday in Maryland was to go to an all-day blues festival. Some of my favorite performers are on the lineup and the venue is on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The forecast is for sunny skies and temps in the upper 70s. I decided to pass.

Plan B was the Andrews Air Force Base open house and air show. I love planes and I’ve been to this event many times, camera in hand. Passed.

What I am going to do is look at apartments in my new favorite neighborhood then return home to make progress on a home office cleanup that I have been putting off for six months or more. Boring choices to service top priorities.

Sometimes we have to make choices in life, decisions that are not fun in the short run but are beneficial to us in the long term. Over the past few decades I have run the distance between being all business and all fun. Those places are not mutually exclusive but it can be a challenge to put them both together. Fortunately my job blends them nicely. Combining those two in my personal life is more problematic.

A goal for the past five years has been to find more fun and spontaneity in my life. I have reached that goal but sometimes at the expense of other goals, such as moving on. I study other people’s lives for inspiration and it is interesting that the close friend who has helped bring out my live-in-the-moment side for three of those years is now also the friend who inspires me on the serious goal-setting side. At various points in our lives we cannot do it all, at least not all at the same time. So we prioritize and make daily choices to reach those priorities. Balance is my favorite word and my life motto and today is a good example of living the balance.

So right after I hit ‘publish’ on this post I’ll get in my car and start on today’s priority. Wish me luck.

Comments