Drama

How does so much drama creep into our lives? Many of my friends have troubling, complicated or depressing things going on in their lives. Is that coincidence or am I a magnet for people with drama? Probably a little both is my guess. I have some drama in my life too, although I really want to simplify it. Drama is fun on stage or television but not in day-to-day life.

One friend's mother is going into hospice care and will likely die within months or even weeks. That is a dramatic struggle for him but there is even more drama involved in dealing with work responsibilities at the same time.

Another friend is trying to save his marriage long-distance and both work and the miles are conspiring against him. I feel his pain and wish I could help but all I can really do is be a sympathetic listener.

Another friend dealt with the divorce of her parents who are in their 70s, while struggling to start her own new career and education journey and her boyfriend just leaves, with no explanation; silent drama.

Another friend goes from boyfriend to boyfriend, is happy with the current one but still missing some of what she had with the previous one.

And of course I have my own, years after I thought I had rid my life of non-theatrical drama.

Back to my opening question: how does so much drama creep into our lives?

Why don’t couples talk, have ‘adult conversations,’ try to work out their problems? Why don’t parents prepare us for their deaths? Why don’t employers accommodate their employee’s personal struggles?

Is this our norm? Why? And are there any people in my circle of friends or acquaintances who have figured out how to live drama-free lives? If so, where are they? I and my other drama-ridden friends need role models for living simple, happy lives.



Comments

Linda V. said…
The drama comes from how we react to life in general. None of those situations you listed are out of the ordinary. People deal with them everyday. Drama comes from the emotional toll such things take. Death is a part of life, I know of no one who has escaped it. But we Americans have an aversion to talking about it, until it confronts us head on. Choices we make about relationships, how we handle job loss, financial setbacks, all are events that anyone and everyone experiences but how we react is what makes drama or not. We are humans, and we have emotions. You can shut down and dismiss the emotions, and your life will be drama-free. Or you can embrace the full gamut of emotions; sorrow, joy, numbness, laughter, happiness, etc. I guess I'd rather have some "drama" and share the joy or sorrow, because then it bonds you to another person, one who hopefully, loves you and can help you carry on, when you need it most, or you help them when they need you. THAT is what we humans are here for, to help one another!
Bernie said…
I agree with much of that. I'm mostly frustrated with what I would call 'unnecessary' drama... people repeating self-destructive patterns, people not considering how others feel, things like that.