Off the Cuff

Any candidate for President can make mistakes during speeches or interviews. Campaigning is stressful and challenging for anyone. But sometimes these mistakes show the ‘real’ candidate and not the ‘image’ candidate.

The rich, uncaring, out of touch man the Republicans have chosen to represent them in the upcoming Presidential election, the man who has nearly a 50-50 chance of actually becoming the leader of our country, certainly revealed a part of his attitude you might not have seen otherwise, unless you were at the $50,000 a plate fundraising dinner in Florida back in May.

Quoting an Associated Press story this week:

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what," Romney is shown saying in the video of a May 17 fundraiser in Boca Raton, Fla. "There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it."

Romney said in the video that his role "is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

WHAT??

Polls show that approximately 47% of Americans prefer Obama and about that same amount prefer Romney; the rest haven’t decided yet. So what Romney is saying is that the 47% of Americans who support the President are “dependent upon government” and don’t want to “take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

And this asshole wants to be our President???!?

I prefer Obama. I voted for Obama last time and will do so again this time. I have a three-decade-long career that I have struggled to develop and currently I am very successful. During those developmental years I lost three jobs and each time I applied for received unemployment benefits. I pay taxes to help fund those benefits. So does every working American. Even the 47% who support Romney pay into it and they are ‘entitled’ to those government benefits. To receive those benefits I had to demonstrate that I was actively seeking another job; I could not sit on my ass and wait for the checks. I hated the fact that I had to ask for those benefits but those benefits, which I helped fund, helped me during a specifically limited amount of time. I took personal responsibility. I was not a victim. I am not the only person who can make those same statements.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what,"
Yes. And I am one of them!

Wait, there’s more. The most devastating job loss I experienced happened at a time when I had recently purchased my first home. By the way the interest rate was 12.8%, three times the current rate, and the President at the time was a Republican. Should I blame him?

Anyway, during the six months after losing that job, I began to collect unemployment benefits (for about two months) which did not even cover my extremely modest mortgage payment, I began to search for a job, applied for dozens of jobs in and out of my chosen field, interviewed for four jobs, had phone interviews for two more, flew halfway across the country for a job interview even though taking that job would have meant completely uprooting my life, turned down that job for that reason, attempted to start two different businesses with absolutely no money (both failed), accepted a neighbor’s offer to hire me for a construction crew for a week (even though I had little experience doing that), took a part time minimum-wage job vaguely connected with my normal line of work (it lasted three weeks), completely lost confidence in myself and my abilities, completely ran out of money, got behind on every bill including the mortgage, called that ‘across the country’ job back to see if it was still open, it was, and I accepted that job … which meant I had to sell my house in a hurry, use the modest profit to pay off all the other debts, leave my fiancĂ© at the time and move from Texas to Maryland and eventually lost the fiancĂ©.

Re-read the last two paragraphs and tell me if I took responsibility. Tell me if I felt like I was a victim. Tell me I was looking for a handout from the government.

Now let me repeat … I am in the 47% who will vote to re-elect Obama. How dare Romney tell me I am a victim dependent on the government because I chose to vote the way I chose to vote.

Neither candidate can single-handedly fix the economy. If either of them really had all the answers the choice would be clear and a vast majority of the electorate would be favoring one or the other of them. Right now it’s still half and half.

But MY choice is clear!!! I have taken my responsibility to research the candidates and have made my choice.

Romney says his comments were ‘off the cuff’ … and like I said at the beginning of this post, any candidate can slip up. But he repeated his position several times during that presentation, thinking his remarks wouldn’t leave the room. I wonder how much the cuff links on his cuff cost. Personally I hope they cost him the election.

Comments

Linda V. said…
I wonder if Romney thinks that corporations that are dependent on government for tax breaks are part of the 47%???? Because of a clerk's error, corporations are considered "persons" too, and hence, feel entitled to be supported by the government. I wish a lot of things, but right now, I am NOT voting for either Dem or Rep, I am voting Libertarian. By the way, you and I have done exactly the same things when unemployed, guess that makes us both 100% sure of who we are and what we are capable of doing for ourselves. Can't say the same for either major candidate. Lol!