Damn Mercury

When you see the word Mercury, what comes to mind?  A car brand?  A Planet?  An outboard motor boat engine brand?  That stuff in a thermometer? 

A friend of mine often reminds me when Mercury is in retrograde.  That would be a planetary reference.  I am equal parts skeptic and believer when it comes to astrological stuff but more on the skeptic side about the real behavioral influence of a distant planet.
So I looked it up.

One web site says “The planet Mercury rules communication, travel, contracts, automobiles and such.  It goes in a retrograde motion – or motion that makes it appear to be going backwards … three times a year for … three weeks at a time.  When Mercury is in retrograde, there’s usually much confusion.”  This website says you shouldn’t start anything new during these periods.
My first thought when I read stuff like that is “what a load of crap.”  But I do not dismiss the possibilities.  The friend who got me started on this has very good insight into things.  And these websites seem to have evidence to back up some of their claims.  And I recently finished reading a book written by an astrophysicist (stop laughing, I really did) and he makes numerous claims about the interconnectedness of planets, moons, stars and other stuff floating around in various universes.

I had a very crappy day today.  Much of yesterday too.  Crazy things happened, my mood was bad, I missed deadlines on work projects, blah, blah, blah.  At one point I thought “Mercury must be in retrograde.”  I was joking.  But my friend pointed out that Mercury is indeed in retrograde.  And another website I just checked notes that this condition exists from June 26 through July 20th this year.  And again between October 21st and November 10th.  Whew.  The calendar is on my side.  Lots of significant stuff happening in my world between the end of July and the end of September, so maybe I’m in the clear.
So do you believe in this stuff?

I still view it all with a degree of skepticism but more crazy shit than usual does seem to occur when Mercury is in retrograde.  Maybe I should borrow a telescope and see if I can see Mercury move backwards.  Maybe I should crawl into a cave till July 20th so I don’t have any more days like today.

Comments

elizinashe said…
the telescope thing would be really cool! a cave, not so good. unless you're a bear.