Whatever Will Be Will Be and You Can Dream It Into Reality

On one hand, the title of this post tells the whole story.  On the other hand, I’ll expand on it a bit.

New Year’s Day is my favorite day of the year.  For me, January 1st is the beginning of a new chapter of life, a day to visualize the coming 365 days (or 366 in the case of 2016).  It is a day to take stock of where one has been during the past year, how much of the year worked out as planned twelve months earlier, how much didn’t.  New Year’s Day can open the door to new possibilities, new dreams, new accomplishments and more.
Every year I write about my ‘process’, which basically involves thinking through what I want for the coming year.  I do this through the whole month of January, from New Year’s Day at the beginning to my birthday at the end.  I look into the coming year and map out what I want to do and accomplish.  It’s like goal setting and New Year’s resolutions but a bit more involved.  I also pick a keyword that symbolizes my goals for the year, a word triggers or reminds me of the whole plan.

Like most people who make and break New Year’s resolutions, I often forget my keyword a few months into the year.  In fact, I don’t remember what word I chose for 2015.  However, I do know that I carry over some of my keyword choices and continue to use them.  Previous words include simplify, focus, renew and balance.  If you know me in person, you know that those four happen to guide many aspects of my life year after year, especially balance.
Hold on a second while I look something up.  Look at this picture for a moment.  I’ll be right back.

 


OK, I just looked up last year’s word.  It was discipline.  Wow, I surely messed that one up.  I’ve had very little discipline this year, especially with my finances.  Maybe I’ll focus on that one again.  I also realized that I picked ‘fun’ as a keyword a year or two ago and I did live up to that one.
So my ‘process’ will begin in earnest in 48 hours.  Whatever will be during the coming year will just be, but I believe that visualizing and thinking things through can have a profound influence on what really does happen.  Goal setting, both conscious and subconscious, has served me well for decades.  Remember that movie quote “if you build it, they will come”?  For me, if you dream it, it will happen.

Happy New Year!

Comments