Boomers and Music


Buying a song back in the day, 60s, 70s, 80s, even 90s ... Go to  store, search for the album, initially on vinyl, later on cassette or CD single, take it to the counter, stand in line, pay the cashier, go home, put the 'thing' into a player on one room in your house, hit play, enjoy your song. Total time, about 30 - 45 minutes.

And now ... click the iTunes app icon, type the song title in the search box, click Buy Song, type in your password, watch it download, hit play, enjoy your song anywhere, any room, no room, car, backyard, park, subway. Total time, about 2 minutes.

I wrote this at 10 pm one recent night, shortly after buying two or three songs I wanted at that moment. Couldn't do that back in the day.

Sometimes I miss searching though vinyl albums and singles in a store. Sometimes. But not the other night when I had to have those songs.

I'm listening to one of them now. On my phone. Wow.

Comments