Dinner At A Diner

Diners are an interesting part of our American past. Although the first diners appeared in the late 1800s and were often horse-drawn night lunch wagons, they became a popular part of American culture in the 1950s at the beginning of the serious ‘car’ era.
 

They were often next to bars in cities or near factories and open 24 hours a day to serve the round-the-clock urban night owls and shift workers.
Stainless steel exteriors and casual atmosphere were typical.

Diner fare featured meatloaf, burgers, club sandwiches, bacon and eggs. And coffee. Plenty of coffee.

The diner where I had dinner recently has all that plus lemon chicken piccata and Atlantic salmon. I ordered lemon chicken. And a beer. I considered getting meatloaf but I'm trying to stick to the healthier diet my neurologist recommended as part of my MS therapy.

Nice to have options.  I pretended my lemon chicken was meatloaf and my Honda was a ’57 Chevy.

Comments