Noise

A recent Kenny Chesney song called "Noise" includes lyrics that are relevant to today:

"Yeah we scream, yeah we shout till we don't have a voice.
In the streets, in the crowds it ain't nothin but noise."


I think about that song every time I see or hear a political ad and every time I see or hear a screaming car dealer ad. Noise!  In my area there are even furniture store commercials with screaming announcers. NOISE!!

"Twenty four hour television gets so loud nobody listens.
Sex and money and politicians talk talk talk,
But there ain't no conversation."


The final Presidential candidate debate was on last night. All noise, especially from the Orange candidate.

"We can't sleep, we can't think, can't escape the noise.
We can't take the noise, so we just make noise."


It seems to me that if everybody shouts, nobody is heard. It all blends into the noise. Sometimes when I get home and I'm sitting in my living room alone, I don't turn on the tv. No music either. Just quiet. Or the quiet hum of the refrigerator. Silence. The absence of noise.

"Ain't nothing left to the imagination.
Trapped in our phones and we can't make it stop."


Fortunately, it is very quiet as I write this at 8:30 on a Thursday morning, while getting dressed for work. The only sounds I hear are the whir of a ceiling fan above me and a train whistle in the distance.

Peaceful, calming silence. In five minutes I'll begin my commute to work. I'll try to savor this moment.

Because in five minutes, the song begins again ...

"Can't take the noise"

Comments