Wow What's Wrong With Me?

Every December I realize, and reluctantly admit, that I am gift-challenged. I give Christmas gifts to my sister and two very close friends, and participate in couples or group gifts for a few more people, but I rarely think about getting gifts for anyone else. Till someone unexpectedly give me a gift.

What's wrong with me?  I certainly appreciate co-workers, colleagues, the neighborhood mailman, the apartment maintenance guy. And I think I'd like to give them something. But then I forget.

A salesperson at work just gave me an Amazon gift card as a thanks for what I do to help her clients. She is very easy to work with and helping her with client relationships is part of my job. I don't expect anything more than the occasional gratitude email and I get plenty of those from her. But I barely know her and was surprised to get a gift. Appreciative but surprised.

Ten or more years ago I gave some coworkers holiday gifts, customized to their tastes. Simple things like picture frames, a Kenny Chesney calendar, a book about Maryland history. I stopped doing that a few years later and I don't remember why.

I send Christmas cards to some cousins and a couple of close friends but I used to send more. And I tried to send cards right after thanksgiving, partly to be first and partly so I wouldn't forget. What happened?  I don't know.

Anyway, I wish you a Merry Christmas.

Comments