New Day, New Month, New Year


New Year’s Day is my favorite holiday. January 1st each year signals an opportunity for new beginnings, both in thought and in reality.

Counting down to midnight the night before is simultaneously scary and energizing. A mild sense of dread washes over me as we careen toward the final moments of a year. Wait, stop, I didn’t finish (fill in the blank). Yet there is energy and optimism as we count, often in unison with groups of people, ten. Nine. Eight. It’s almost here. Seven. Six. Does everyone have their champagne? Five. Four. Ready?! Three. Two. One!!

Happy New Year!!!!

Glasses clink. Hugs. Kisses. Attempts to sing Auld Lang Syne. Does anybody really know the words?  Or the origin of the song and its connection to turning the page into the next year?

January One is the first day of my month-long ‘process’. From New Year’s Day at the beginning to my birthday near the end, I think through what I want in the coming year. I don’t actually make New Years resolutions but I do a form of goal-setting. I often pick a keyword or two that helps me focus on hitting those goals.

Balance, my single favorite English language word, is a holdover keyword. Every year I strive to find balance between often-competing aspects of life, like work versus fun, planned obligations versus spontaneous frivolity.  Since I began using balance as a keyword, my life has become more balanced, but I have a long way to go. So balance carries over.

At this point, twelve hours into 2018, I think ‘simplify’ might return as a keyword. My life continues to be more complicated than I want it to be. That is a big surprise to me. I always thought life got simpler as we age. It doesn’t.

Another keyword contender is ‘discipline’. That would also be a returning goal.

I have other specific goals for 2018 and I’ll develop strategies to help me achieve them. But I want to have fun this year too. Hmmm, ‘fun’ is another possible (and returning) keyword.

Meanwhile, I thank you for visiting my blog. I wish you simplicity, balance and fun in 2018.

Happy New Year!!!

Comments