Overheard


Sometimes I sit at the end of the long, straight bar in my neighborhood hangout because that spot gives me a commanding view of the whole place. I see who enters and exits and watch and listen while sipping my favorite red wines.

Topics of conversation on a recent Friday night...

College - a young guy I don’t know telling a retired guy I do know all about his experiences a few years ago at University of Maryland.

Divorce - at least half the regulars, me included, are divorced and have entertaining horror stories about marriage. A fairly attractive, never-married 50-something female regular is listening to and laughing at the stories.

Retirement - a guy who has been retired for several years discussing that lifestyle with a guy who is retiring next month.

Amazon - a tech geek discussing the pros and cons of that monster company’s possible second headquarters in this county.

Music - we’re all trying to name the group as soon as the song comes on.  Yep, that’s AC/DC. That previous song was by The Doors. The Wednesday bartender plays Country, the Sunday drink slinger prefers Alt-Rock. I like it all.

Wine - the owner explaining each of this month’s eight featured red wines in great detail to a regular who usually drinks beer.

Like the fictional TV bar Cheers, this is a place where everybody knows my name and I know their names too. Sometimes the gossip is annoying, but more often fellow patrons provide free entertainment and growing friendship. The perspectives are educational and fun.

My vantage point that night gave me the option of discretely listening to or actively participating in the life of this neighborhood I specifically sought out five years ago. I should try to sit in that spot more often.

Comments