Famous Friendly and Committed


One part of my radio job is interviewing people connected to non-profit organizations. Sometimes those people are famous.

I recently interviewed Tim Shriver, Chairman of Special Olympics International. Boomers like me know the Shriver name, even if we don’t always remember the details.

Here are some details. Tim Shriver is the son of Sargent Shriver, a Vice Presidential candidate in 1972, and Eunice Kennedy Shriver, sister of John, Robert and Ted Kennedy. That means those Kennedy’s were his uncles. Maria Shriver is his sister. His mother Eunice founded Special Olympics fifty years ago this month.

Before I pressed ‘record’ that day, I did mention that I’ve followed his family for decades. I remember exactly where I was at lunch time on November 22,1963. I also told him I am impressed by his family’s dedication to public service.

People of wealth, fame and power could certainly live selfish, luxurious lives and care only for themselves. Our current president is a good example of that. Many Shrivers and Kennedys have chosen to use their wealth, fame and power to help others and to help create a country and a world of inclusion. The Special Olympics mission of changing attitudes and stereotypes about people with intellectual disabilities is a good example of that.

The boomer generation can take pride in this kind of ‘boomer ethic’. I am humbled and proud when I can use my little early Sunday morning radio interviews to spread this kind of message. I am honored that someone like Tim Shriver would sit in my little studio and tell me about his work. I am also happy to see that someone of his stature is friendly, even a little self-effacing, but dedicated to helping people. We can all learn from him.

Comments