Staycations


Taking time off can be a powerful method to recharge, both physically and emotionally. Visiting a new place, revisiting a favorite destination or embarking on an adventure filled with settings and activities that are out of your normal patterns or comfort zones can be exhilarating.

The point of vacations is to disconnect from your daily work routines, with the goal of appreciating your job more, or at least taking a break. Which means NOT going anywhere during time off from work can have similar benefits.

The Independence Day holiday is on a Wednesday this year, so I decided to take Monday and Tuesday off, which means I am in a 5-day weekend. Where am I going? Nowhere. A "Staycation".

We Americans work too much. Some research indicates we only take a week off in addition to a few holidays on which our workplaces are closed, even if company policy allows for more. Workers in many countries get a whole month off. In some countries that vacation is mandatory.

I’ve worked at my current job for more than twenty years and have earned the maximum ... all of the usual holidays plus four weeks each year. There is a catch, sort of; I need special permission to take more than two weeks off in a row, and even that much is unofficially discouraged. I did take two weeks off back to back during two summers in a row, but it’s been more than ten years since I’ve done that. But I do take every day off that I’ve earned, every year.

So I wrote this post while sitting on my sofa at home, sipping coffee and looking at a hummingbird feeder outside my living room window. It was 9:30 on Monday morning, the time I usually arrive at my office. Later, I got in my car and ran a few errands, then returned home and finished reading a book. Tomorrow I might walk around my neighborhood taking pictures; photography is one of my favorite activities and I rarely spend any time on it, so this staycation gives me that opportunity.

No alarm clocks will go off on the holiday Wednesday. Awesome Girlfriend is off work that day and our plans are more like no plans.

I will return to work Thursday with two thoughts in mind. One, I’ll be refreshed and happy to tackle work. Two, two days later it’ll be the weekend again. Woohoo!

I love my job and I also love my time off. One makes the other better. And staying close to home can be just as much fun as traveling.

Comments