My Hippie Van


Yellow and gold were popular car colors in the 1970s. I had a gold Plymouth Duster for a few years but as my lifestyle became a bit more loose, and with the encouragement of a girlfriend, I decided to trade in that boring sedan for a van. A bright yellow Ford Econoline Van. 

In order to save money, I ordered a stripped down version with 3-speed column shift, no AC, no power steering, a 6-cylinder engine. No radio (even though I had begun my radio career at that point). The only options were captain’s chairs and that bright yellow color. The rest was a basic shell. 

My dream was to customize the interior as a combination “hippie van” and travel van. Plush carpet, strobe lights, sound system and a sofa bed. I envisioned a year-long road trip to see America. 

It never happened. 

A year later, I traded the van for a Toyota sedan - yellow - with radio, power steering AC ... and a radio. 

I’ve had sedans, station wagons and an SUV in the ensuing years, but that dream never really died. It’s still in my head. My current Honda sedan might be a good vehicle for an extended road trip. Many boomer retirees (which I’ll have to be in order to ever take this trip) often buy RVs for their Kerouac Americana adventure. Modern day “hippie vans”?

Even though the afore-mentioned Honda would be suitable for my dream, I’m picturing a luxury SUV, maybe a gently used Lexus RX 350. That has been my dream ride for years, so it seems like an appropriate choice to transport me and the current and forever love of my life across the Interstates and backroads of the USA. My updated version of a “hippie van”. 

All of this is still fantasy but I have a long history of turning dreams into reality. Wish me luck. 

Comments