Are They Trying To Tell Us Something?


Several times during the past few months I’ve read about or encountered people who died too young. 

An event promoter I knew in Maryland who had survived colon cancer died from complications related to diabetes and heart issues last month. Age 53. 

A partly retired New Hampshire newscaster I met once when he lived in Virginia survived several health issues but had a heart attack while driving home from work and died either from that or the resulting car crash last week. Age 62. 

I’m currently reading Michelle Obama’s new book. Her father lived with Multiple Sclerosis for around twenty years. In the 1980s he eventually had other issues possibly related to the MS and died. Age 55. 

A few chapters earlier in the book, Michelle talked about a very good friend who exemplified ‘carpe diem’. She seemed to know she’d die young and wanted to experience as much life as she could while she could. She died at age 26. 

All this reminded me that a former girlfriend of mine from my 20s in Louisiana died three years ago. I had not been in touch with her for many years but I knew a lot about her life because of the internet. She had become a teacher and a writer in her 30s and 40s and there were numerous articles about her projects on her university web site and elsewhere. She was also a decent musician, switching from piano when I knew her to cello later in her life. She traveled to France with her son once and traveled to Russia and Croatia by herself another time. I have no idea why. Doesn’t matter. She lived life her way. Died at age 62. 

Why are all of these dots connecting in my head right now, right at the point in my life where I’m trying to figure out what’s next for me? Are they trying to tell me something?

My accountant’s husband died a few years ago. The time from diagnosis to death was eight months. He was only in his mid 60s. When I saw her a few months ago, she asked me why I wasn’t already retired and enjoying life. 

Is the recent death of George H. W. Bush trying to tell all of us something?  He lived an incredibly full life and continued to do so long after his time as President was over. Four notable examples of ‘carpe diem’ in his life: he loved skydiving and jumped out of an airplane on his birthday at ages 75, 80, 85 and 90. I bet he would have tried it again he lived another year. 

I tend to put things off. My bucket list fills a page but I only have a timeline on one item on the list. I’ll ask you the same two questions I’m asking myself right now. Are they trying to tell us something? And what are we waiting for?

Comments