Where Did That Dream Land?


Boomers my age grew up watching the greatest competition in human history: the Space Race. There were only two teams: the Russians and the Americans. The playing field was the Moon and the stands were chairs in our living rooms, set randomly in front of televisions. The first season lasted more than ten years. 

Every launch prior to July 1969 was a regular season game leading up to the Big Game. That game’s first half was a lunar landing, the halftime show was a walk on the lunar surface; the second half was the safe return of the 3-man team. 

The Americans won. 

It is hard to believe that first moon walk was fifty years ago, specifically July 20, 1969. I remember watching it live on a black-and-white TV on a Saturday night.  I took pictures of the TV, and I still have them.  Somewhere.  If I find them, I’ll post them.

That one small step continues to be a giant leap for all of us.  One day, some political leader will have, and express, the vision that John Kennedy had.  I hope that leader is America.  I hope it happens in my lifetime.

Comments