Six Feet On Sunday


The cool, foggy March morning dissolved into a warm, sunny Sunday afternoon.  Normally that would have been a perfect day to sip wine with friends outdoors at a neighborhood bar, but nothing was normal Sunday or any day for the past few weeks.

This coronavirus pandemic has temporarily and radically changed our lives.  I hope it’s temporary.  Stay-at-home orders, social distancing, washing hands fifty times a day, navigating medical advice, enduring presidential misinformation, experiencing stress, fear, anxiety … that’s living in the USA in the spring of 2020.

I am usually positive, optimistic ... half full not half empty … realistic but hopeful. My emotional state right now, however, is cool and foggy like the start of last Sunday.  My home is warm, inviting, mildly cluttered and a perfect reflection of the two of us.  I love being here. But except for twenty minutes here and there, I’ve been in my home for two weeks.  And this is only the beginning.  The state of Maryland stay-at-home order could last for two months.  Maybe more.

Working from home is an interesting experience.  I’ve been setting up a home studio for quite a while, so that I could work from home during bad weather, and eventually during a partial retirement.  Now I have to work from home.  My setup is ok, but tech glitches slow things down, adding frustration and reducing my usual efficiency.

Watching the news is depressing.  I refuse to watch Trump’s Sh*t Show.  I wait for the fact-based excerpts from Fauci and other experts and pray that they don’t get fired for telling the truth.  Most other stories on the nightly news are either deadly statistics or heartwarming stories and I’m truly tired of both.  And this is only a few weeks.  Ouch.

At the moment I am writing this, 7:30pm Eastern, Tuesday March 31st, I should have been drinking my 3rd margarita at the home of friends in central Florida.  We would have already had a tour of their retirement community, met some of their neighbors, joked about golf carts being the main mode of transportation and started making plans for more of the same tomorrow.  We had to cancel that trip, of course, and we have no idea when we’ll reschedule.

Ok, enough doom and gloom and depression.  For today, at least.

I recently discovered another wonderful aspect of owning a smart tv.  I can play You Tube channels on a 55-inch screen instead of just my iPhone.  And there are a growing number of musicians performing live from their homes.  Check out Graham Nash singing “Our House” from his living room.

We will all get through this.  My positive side will win my current personal battle.  If you’re depressed or bored or scared right now, you are not alone.  But we will get through this.



Comments