These Are Crazy Times


So I have unintentionally chosen this crazy Coronavirus panic month to start blogging again. I’ve written or started many blog posts since last summer, but I have been so busy with other things that I haven’t actually posted anything.

The fear, anxiety and uncertainty surrounding this pandemic reminds me of 9/11, but this is much different. In many ways, this is scarier than 9/11, even scarier than growing up a couple hundred miles from Cuba during the Cuban missile crisis in the 1960s. This ‘attack’ is widespread, the ‘enemy’ is invisible, the ‘war’ isn’t between countries.

Some people close to me are more freaked out than I am now, but my relative calmness is just me being me. My trouble sleeping for the past few days tells me I’m internalizing my fears, trying to be the calm on the storm. I am not as calm as I appear.

As of the moment I am writing this, some states are mandating that people stay at home to help reduce the spread of the rapidly contagious COVID-19.  Maryland, my state, isn’t mandating that yet, but non-essential businesses are now required to close. A few hours before that announcement, I drove to a nearby audio store to pick up a piece of audio equipment that’ll enable me to record phone interviews from home (part of my job) and for the eventual podcast of this blog. That was probably the last time I can leave home for anything except groceries and medications.  And wine.  Fortunately, local liquor stores are considered “essential”.  Cheers.

I started checking in with friends who live alone, to make sure they know they have some support. Based on the grateful responses I got, I know that was the right thing to do.  Social distancing is necessary right now, but social isolation isn’t. 

Even though I have ZERO trust in the ‘president’ to lead us through this, I do optimistically believe there are several people around him that can help navigate these crazy times.  There are many caring state and local leaders as well, and they are making several good choices. 

The main thing is for all of us to look out for each other and stay in touch with each other (from 6 feet or more).  Our great country has been through struggles before and together we can get through this one.

Comments